Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
This report comprises the final results of the archaeological excavation of Site AR 31, in the townland of Borris, Co Tipperary North Riding. Work was undertaken as part of the archaeological mitigation programme for the proposed M8N8 Cullahill to Cashel Road Improvement Scheme. Excavation was conducted under Ministerial Direction No. A027/000, (Registration No E2374, Detection Device licence ref. R51) by Mick Ó Droma, for Valerie J Keeley Ltd, from 18th September 2006 to 14th October 2007. Excavation of this site produced multi–period settlement activity, situated either side of the Black River, within Borris (east) and Blackcastle (west) townlands. Prehistoric occupation of this site included a Middle Bronze Age roundhouse (1607-1451 cal BC & 1651- 1456 cal BC) and isolated Late Bronze Age cremation pit (an adolescent dated 1265-1060 BC). Late medieval settlement commenced in the early 12th century possibly associated with the Anglo-Norman establishment of the borough. Commencing with the construction of two mills to the north and south of the river (AD 1118 +/- 9 yrs [N]; AD 1188/1208+/- 9 yrs [S]), and associated features included a square clay-walled structure / house, reused as a smithy (cal AD 1219-1280), metal-working hearths (both iron and copper (AD 1290- 1399), a corn-drying kilns (cal AD 1156-1262 & AD 1298-1409), a well containing 57 silver coins (cal AD 1279-1320), as well as a series of burgage and field ditches. In the post medieval period, settlement evidence adjacent to the 16th century tower house north of the site, included a corn-drying kiln (cal AD 1447-1629), two adjacent round buildings thought to be stores (cal AD 1495-1648, 1521-1951), field ditches and iron smithing (cal AD 1452-1634). All archaeological work is now complete for this site and this report constitutes the final report on this excavation. A digital copy of the archive is available at the post excavation offices of Valerie J Keeley Ltd., Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny. The original paper archive for this excavation will rest with the Road Design Offices of Kilkenny County Council.