Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
Irish Archaeological Consultancy Ltd. (IAC Ltd.), funded by Donegal County Council and the National Roads Authority, completed a 5 000m² excavation in the townland of Ballyhanna, in the town of Ballyshannon in advance of the construction of the proposed 10.5 km N15 Bundoran-Ballyshannon Bypass (Figure 1). The excavations were undertaken to ensure all subsoil archaeological remains were preserved by record in advance of groundwork. The previously unknown site had been discovered in Plot 116b, Test Area 12 during a test trenching programme undertaken by IAC Ltd. in July 2003 (Licence 03E1012). Resolution excavation was completed from September 2003 to March 2004 (Licence 03E1384) with a maximum staff level of 23, directed by Brian Ó Donnchadha. There were two main areas of activity identified at the site. The first measured 40m x 50m and was in the NE corner of the field, at the base of a steep slope. This area contained 1276 human burials, together with a quantity of loose bone. The burials appeared to be ranged around the S and E foundations of a rectangular stone-built structure, believed to have been a church. The W and N sides of the building had been disturbed by later activity and any burials that may have been placed there had since been lost. Analysis of the finds would suggest that the burial ground was in use between 1100 and 1400 AD, with pottery providing a similar date range for the church. The second area was on the crest of the slope and comprised a shallow C-shaped ditch. There was nothing found within it to indicate a date or likely function of this ditch. NOTE: THE GRID REFERENCES PROVIDED IN THE FINAL REPORT PROVED INCORRECT. THE CORRECT GRID REFERENCES ARE INCLUDED IN THE METADATA.