Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
Irish Archaeological Consultancy Ltd. (IAC Ltd.), funded by Donegal County Council and the National Roads Authority, completed an excavation of four areas totalling 1321 sq. m in the townland of Magheracar c. 0.3km to the south of Bundoran in advance of the construction of the proposed 10.5km N15 Bundoran-Ballyshannon Bypass (Figure 1). The excavations were undertaken to ensure all subsoil archaeological remains were preserved by record in advance of groundwork. The site at Magheracar 2 (Plots 29a, 33 and 34a, Test Area 3) was identified during the 2001 EIS by Babtie Petit Ltd, which suggested the site was a linear earthwork of possible Iron age date. During a test-trenching programme undertaken by IAC Ltd. in July 2003 (Licence 03E1013) the presence of an accompanying ditch to the south and north of the bank was noted. Resolution excavation commenced in January 2004 and was completed in February 2004 (Licence 04E0098, 04E0108) with a maximum staff level of 10, directed by Brian Ó Donnchadha. Area D was excavated as part of an impact mitigation strategy undertaken during the archaeological monitoring of route in August 2004 (Licence 04E1162) this excavation was carried out by Rob Lynch of IAC Ltd. The linear embankment was orientated east-west, with substantial alterations and levelling dating from the 19th century characterising much of its remains, the most intact length of which lie to the more easterly end of the wayleave of the proposed road. The portion of embankment which was impacted upon by the development was fully recorded through a series of areas that were excavated along the feature.