Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
Raheenagurren, 2 km south-east of the town of Gorey, Co. Wexford, has long been subdivided into two separate townlands.While the exact meaning of the name is not clear, ‘Raheen’ refers to a rath or ringfort.These are typical settlement sites of the early medieval period, broadly dating from between AD 500 and 1100.They are well known in most parts of Ireland, and about 150 of them survive in County Wexford. The typical ringfort consisted of a bank and ditch surrounding a farmhouse and outbuildings. The buildings were of wood, and disappeared within a few decades of abandonment. Although we call them forts, they were farm settlements and not military structures. The banks and ditches, and sometimes there were more than one, were partly to keep out occasional cattle-raiders and wolves but could also have been just for show. Further outbuildings sometimes stood outside these defences. Two ringforts survive in Raheenagurren, but we do not know which one gave the area its name. In the townland of Raheenagurren West, near the Knockduff road, is a ringfort with a single ditch and bank (Record of Monuments and Places no. WX012-003). The proposed route of the N11 Gorey to Arklow Link Road passes directly to the south of it, and it was realised from the outset that this part of the route had archaeological potential.