Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
This report presents the final results of an archaeological excavation undertaken at Clashedmond 1, Co. Kerry, on behalf of Kerry County Council. The works were undertaken as part of Stage (iii) of the Archaeological Services Contract prior to the commencement of construction of the N22 Tralee Bypass/Tralee to Bealagrellagh, Co. Kerry, which extends from Lissatanvally townland to Flemby townland in Co. Kerry. The Minister of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, following consultation with the National Museum of Ireland, issued Directions to Kerry County Council for archaeological works relating to the road development (Ministerial Directions No. A56). The registration number, E4289, was allocated by the National Monument Service for archaeological excavations at Clashedmond 1under the direction of Liam McKinstry of Rubicon Heritage Services Ltd (formerly Headland Archaeology (Ireland) Ltd). Following a route constraints study, and a route appraisal and selection report, an Environmental Impact Study was carried out on the preferred route, including a chapter on archaeology and cultural heritage (Atkins 2008). A number of archaeological and architectural heritage constraints were identified along the route of the road and a number of recommendations were set out for the treatment of the sites and potential sites identified. Included in these recommendations were geophysical survey, test-excavations of the entire route, survey of the townland boundaries, underwater surveys and survey of architectural/built heritage sites, which were completed as part of Stage (i) archaeological work on the scheme (Bartlett et al. 2010a; Harrison 2010; Kieran and Hayden 2010; Long 2010 a-e). Archaeological test trenching along the entire route (including Wetland Test Excavation) was carried out by Rubicon Heritage Services Ltd on behalf of Kerry County Council between 9 August 2010 and 3 September 2010 under Excavation Registration Number E4149. Additional testing was undertaken in wetland areas between 22 September and 1 October 2010 under the same licence number. Due to the number and size of powerline exclusion zones test trenching was undertaken in exclusion zones between 29 September and 15 October 2010. The test excavations at Clashedmond 1 identified in the southern part of the site a wall with an associated cobbled surface and a stretch of the townland boundary. In the northern part of the site, parts of an enclosure ditch with an entrance in the southeast, linear features (one of which cut into the enclosure) and four pits or postholes located in the interior of the enclosure (Bartlett et al. 2010a). Stage (ii) stripping, cleaning and mapping of all areas of archaeological potential identified during test trenching was carried out by Rubicon Heritage Services Ltd on behalf of Kerry County Council between 30 August and 13 October 2010 (Bartlett et al. 2010b). However due to the presence of overhead powerlines at Clashedmond 1 stripping of the site was not carried out at this time. Full archaeological excavation was undertaken at the site between 24 January and 16 February 2011; a preliminary report on the results of the excavation was submitted in August 2011 (McKinstry 2011). The area of excavation measured 2607 mý revealing four phases of activity dating to the Middle and Late Bronze Age period and to the post-medieval/early modern period. The archaeological features identified included: Phase 1 consisting of scattered pits and postholes and Phase 2 consisted of a large circular enclosure. Post-medieval Phase 3 and Phase 4 were characterised by a number of linear features present across the site including a townland boundary ditch and structural elements. Features Phase 1: Phase 1 was characterised by a number of pits and postholes that were located within the interior of the enclosure but were found to be earlier than the enclosure itself. Four pits (SUERC- 37273, 1257-999 cal. BC, 2?) were located within the northern part and four pits (SUERC-37272, 1417- 1217 cal. BC, 2?) in the central area. Three postholes were located close to the south-eastern entrance to the enclosure and are also likely to be contemporary with this phase. Phase 2: Phase 2 was characterised by the enclosure ditches. The interior dimension of the excavated part of the enclosure ditch was c.33.5 m northwest-southeast and c.26 m northeast-southwest. If it is assumed that the enclosure was circular in shape then an estimate for the overall outer dimension would be 39 m. The enclosures entrance was located in the south-eastern part of its circuit and consisted of a causeway within the ditch approximately 5 m wide. A possible surface of rough stone ran though the entranceway. The northern part of the enclosure ditch was between 2 m - 3 m wide and had a maximum depth of 2.2 m. In profile this section of the ditch had a steeply sided ?V? shape with a rounded base. The ditch contained 23 fills. The lower fills comprised light to dark grey-brown sandy-clays with frequent inclusions of small to large stone and gravel. There were also occasional inclusions of charcoal flecking a sample of which has been dated (SUERC-37271, 919-805 cal. BC, 2?). The southern part of the enclosure ditch was between 1.6 m-2 m wide and had a maximum depth of 0.74 m. In profile, this section of the ditch contrasted against the steep ?V? profile of the northern area of ditch and consisted of a much broader and shallower profile that had concave sides and a very uneven base. The ditches terminus to the northeast with the entrance was a gradual rise which was partially truncated by a linear feature. The ditch in this area contained three fills. Phase 3: The townland boundary ditch ran in a north-south direction along the westernmost edge of the site. The ditch had a width of 1.30 m and a maximum depth of 0.35 m; it contained three fills. Phase 4: Phase 4 was characterised by a number of linear features present across the site including a townland boundary ditch and structural elements. To the immediate north of the enclosure there were four linear drains or field boundaries. Three furrows and a field boundary were located within the centre of the enclosure. Located in the southern part of the site, a field drain truncated the terminus of the southern enclosure ditch. Structural elements (structure and surface) and associated features, (deposits, gateway and linear feature) were located in the southern part of the site. Overlaying the natural sub-soil was the modern bank and a deliberately deposited layer. This layer appeared to be some form of foundation over which a cobbled surface was constructed. The cobbled surface measured 2.60 m east-west, 1.90 m north-south and had a maximum thickness of 0.12 m. A rubble layer which comprised of a mix of small to medium sized roughly shaped stones overlay the cobbled surface and lay in close proximity to a dry-stone wall. The layer measured 0.75 m by 0.6 m and had a thickness of 0.2 m. Running parallel to the southern edge of the cobbled surface was the remains of an east-west orientated small dry-stone wall. The bank was truncated along its width in an east-west direction by gateway cut and also along its eastern edge by the linear feature. The first of these cuts seems to have been part of an access through the bank and over the cobbled surface. The second cut may have been the remains of the townland boundary ditch. All of these features seem to relate to an entrance in the townland boundary and laneway leading off it to the east which are visible on the OS 1st Edition Sheet 038 (1846). Artefacts and samples The ceramic assemblage (Plate 11) is comprised of fourteen sherds, representing a single glazed red earthenware vessel that could range in date from the eighteenth to twentieth-centuries. The vessel is most likely local in origin al though similar vessels are imported into Ireland from Wales and England during this period. A total of 16 soil samples were retained from the excavation. The soil samples were processed for environmental data. The recovery of charred blackthorn fruit stones suggests the collection and consumption of wild foodstuffs. The small quantity of grain recovered provides limited evidence for the cultivation of hulled barely. The charcoal assemblage suggests fuel wood was collected from marginal woodland or woodland fringe. The presence of fungal hyphae suggests that degraded wood was collected for use as fuel wood. Growth ring curvature suggests the main timber-size used was small to medium sized branch wood. The metallurgical material from a possible posthole and a pit had a total weight of less than 1 gram and was comprised of tiny iron oxide/magnetic fragments that after microscopic examination were deemed to be non-archaeological in origin. Dating A total of three radiocarbon dates were obtained for the enclosure ditch, and pits excavated at Clashedmond 1. The earliest dated activity was from a Middle Bronze Age (1417-1217 cal. BC, (2?) (SUERC-37272)) pit, while the later activity was the enclosure ditch, dated to 919?805 cal. BC (2?) (SUERC-37271). NOTE: THE GRID REFERENCES PROVIDED IN THE FINAL REPORT PROVED INCORRECT. THE CORRECT GRID REFERENCES ARE INCLUDED IN THE METADATA.