Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
The Closure Notice was placed on the gates of the museum on Kildare Street during Easter Week 1916. When the fighting began in Dublin, Mr. Nichols, the Museum’s senior curator, was out at lunch. Another officer, curator Liam Gógan, took immediate action and closed the Museum, posting a notice to that effect on the front door of the Kildare Street building. He then sent the Museum’s unarmed D.M.P. constable back to his barracks for his safety. His actions during the Rising led him to be suspected of following the orders of the Irish Volunteers. He was interned in Frongoch Camp for three months and fired from the Museum in October . He was later reinstated.