Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
This is a final report of an archaeological excavation at Sheephouse 4 (01E0449) which was located on the route of the M1 Northern Motorway Gormanston – Monasterboice (Drogheda Bypass), Platin to Oldbridge, Chainage 21600–24800, Contract 7, County Meath. The excavation was carried out by E Stafford of Irish Archaeological Consultancy Ltd on behalf of Meath County Council. The work was carried out under licence No. 01E0449 which was received from the DoEHLG in consultation with the National Museum of Ireland. The fieldwork took place between 14 May and 22 June 2001. A number of postholes, pits, spreads and a ditch were identified at the site during monitoring of topsoil stripping within an area measuring 185m north–south x 70m east–west (12950m²). Five phases of activity were identified at Sheephouse 4. Middle Neolithic activity (Phase 1) at the site comprised a cluster of large pits in the south of the site, one of which returned a date of 3370–3100BC. It is possible that further undated pits in this area may also have belonged to this phase. Late Neolithic/early Bronze activity (Phase 2) at the site comprised a metalled surface and a series of pits and a trough in the north of the site. The trough had stakeholes around the edges indicating that it had been lined, although no such lining survived. A charcoal sample from one of the stakeholes returned a date of 2580–2460 BC. The fills of some of the pits in this area and a deposit overlying the metalled surface contained charcoal and burnt stones. It is likely that this was a burnt mound. A sherd and two fragments of Grooved Ware pottery recovered from the metalled surface support the dating from the trough. In the centre of the site a hearth was dated to the early Bronze Age (Phase 3, 1910– 1740 BC) and a cluster of small pits and postholes nearby are likely to have been associated. Dating indicated that a small cluster of pits in the south of the site belonged to the late Bronze Age/early Iron Age (Phase 4, 820–590 BC), although the presence of Grooved Ware pottery and two baked clay objects recovered from one of the pits is an indication that some of the features at this end of the site are likely to have belonged to earlier phases. Alternatively material related to the Phase 2 activity in the north of the site may have been disturbed and incorporated into these features. The greatest concentration of features was located in the south of the site and comprised a number of large pits as well as metalled areas and a linear ditch. Dating and finds evidence dates some of these features to the middle Neolithic, late Neolithic and the late Bronze Age/early Iron Age, however the majority of these features are undated and could have belonged to any of these phases. Postmedieval activity at the site comprised a linear east–west oriented ditch (Phase 5). The function of most of the activity at Sheephouse 4 is unclear, however the large pits and metalled surfaces in the south of the site are suggestive of some industrial process such as the soaking of hides or some similar water based function. A small number of lithics recovered from the site also indicate that there was some level of flint working taking place on the site and the presence of two scrapers and a rubbing stone from the fills of a post-medieval ditch and from the topsoil indicate that hide and food processing are likely to have been among the tasks that were carried out on the site. The activity at Sheephouse 4 demonstrates continuity of occupation and is an important addition to our knowledge of occupation in this area in the late Neolithic and the Bronze Age.