Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
This report comprises the final results of the archaeological excavation of Sites AR06-9 in the townland of Ballykeoghan, Co Kilkenny. Work was undertaken as part of the archaeological mitigation programme for the proposed N9/N10 Kilcullen to Waterford Scheme: Waterford to Knocktopher ? Phase 2. The excavation was conducted by Joanna Wren, under Ministerial Direction No. A032/000, Registration No E2500, for Valerie J Keeley Ltd, from 17th July to 21st August 2006. Work at these sites uncovered evidence for human activity ranging in date from the Bronze Age to the Post Medieval Era. Initial Bronze Age activity was represented by a burnt mound uncovered against the eastern site boundary in AR08. A sample of hazel charcoal from a pit below this mound returned a calibrated radiocarbon date of 1626-1501 BC. In the centre of AR09 there was a double row of post holes and some charcoal spreads. Eleven sherds of Mid-Late Bronze Age pottery were recovered from these features and two samples from this area returned radiocarbon dates ranging from 1420 cal BC to 827 cal BC. A third sample returned a date in the Early Middle Ages, possibly as a result of later intrusion. Iron Age activity was also evident in AR09 as represented by the remains of two iron smelting furnaces, two associated charcoal kilns and a potential smithing hearth. Samples from three of these features returned radiocarbon dates ranging from 729 cal BC to 51 cal BC. A potential lime kiln was uncovered in AR07 along with a boundary ditch, which formed part of a complex that continued north into AR09. Two more small cuttings AR06 & AR09a were devoid of archaeological features. All archaeological work is now complete for this site and this report constitutes the final report on this excavation. A digital copy of the archive is available at the post excavation offices of Valerie J Keeley Ltd., Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny. The original paper archive for this excavation will rest with the Road Design Offices of Kilkenny County Council.