Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
Archaeological test trenching was carried out in advance of construction along the route of the proposed M4 Kinnegad-Enfield-Kilcock Motorway Scheme. In February 2002 during centreline testing of the proposed realignment of the main Edenderry Road carried out by Ian Russell under licence 02E0108 of Duchas The Heritage Service, a number of possible archaeological features were identified. This site was located in the parish of Clonard, Rossan townland in land formerly owned by Sean Flynn. The site was subsequently designated Rossan 4 and was archaeologically excavated in October 2002 under licence 02E1066. A large east – west area measuring 69m in length and 7.5m in width around the features was stripped of topsoil to establish their extent and whether they formed part of a larger archaeological site. Excavation exposed one pit, one posthole, two hearths and an area of oxidised clay. The pit was oval in shape with dimensions of 0.28m east-west, 0.55m north-south and a depth of 0.18m. It was filled with a mid-brown silty clay containing frequent amounts of charcoal and oxidised clay. A charcoal sample obtained from this feature returned a radiocarbon date of Cal AD 1460-1680, Cal AD 1770-1800 and Cal AD 1940-1950 indicating that this feature may be modern. The posthole located further east was roughly circular in shape with dimensions of 0.62m north-south, 0.48m east-west and 0.23m in depth. It was filled with a stony silty clay and frequent charcoal inclusions. Two hearths were located in close proximity to the posthole and may have been associated with it. Both hearths were charcoal filled with evidence of oxidation in the base. The first hearth measured 1.4m north-south, 1.12m east-west, 0.12m in depth and was sub-rectangular in shape. The second hearth also sub-rectangular in shape measured 2.08m north-south, 1.3m east-west and 0.2m in maximum depth. A charcoal sample obtained from this feature returned a radiocarbon date of Cal AD 1030-1280 indicating that this feature was medieval in date. Two types of slag were recovered from this feature including a fragment of vitrified ceramic and drippy slag. To the west of these hearths an area measuring 6m by 8m approximately was clearly oxidised and scorched. With the exception of the slag no other finds were recovered from any of the features and no further evidence structural or otherwise was exposed within the cutting. The site was clearly one where a large amount of burning took place and the presence of two similar hearths one of which contained slag would suggest that this was an industrial area. Iron working at this site was carried out in the medieval period although the radiocarbon dates from the pit F005 provided a range of largely modern dates. It is clear that activity at this site covered a wide chronological time span. The site is located on a low ridge that rises substantially to the south and it is highly likely that archaeological remains extend southwards beyond the limits of the road corridor.