Total number of assets (1)
This browser does not support viewing this file type. Please download the asset to view.
The following report describes the final results (Stage (iv) Post-Excavation Services) of an archaeological excavation of Glennameade 1 (licence ref.: 12E230), which was located along the route of the N69 Bolane Bends Realignment Scheme. The site at Glennameade was discovered during advance archaeological testing along the proposed realignment undertaken in June 2012 by Sebastien Joubert of the National Roads Authority (Licence Ref.: 12E161), on behalf of Limerick County Council. The Stage (iii) excavation work at Glennameade 1 was undertaken on behalf of Limerick County Council and it took place between the 16th and 24th of July 2012. Two phases of archaeological activity were identified at Glennameade 1: a burnt mound which was in use during at least three separate stages during the Bronze Age; and two charcoal-production kilns which date to the early medieval period. The burnt mound complex was positioned on undulating marginal ground and at the very edge of a possible turlough, the water level of which extended into the site covering part of the levelled burnt mound spread. The archaeological remains at Glennameade 1 comprised: 10 earth-cut pits, one of which was directly associated with a gully; a trough central to the burnt mound; and an outlier trough. There were two burnt mound spreads: the largest, deepest and darkest was centred on the main trough and measured 14m east?west x 13m north?south x max. 0.4m deep; and the other shallower, more ephemeral spread measured 15m east?west x 11m north? south and was on average 0.25m deep. A sample of charcoal from the central trough returned a two-sigma calibrated range of 1862?1612 BC dating it to the Early/Middle Bronze Age, while charcoal from the outlier trough returned a date of 1192?938 BC indicating a date in the Late Bronze Age. Charcoal from pit/trough C28 returned a date of 2474?2294 BC indicating this pit was in use in the Chalcolithic. This suggests the activity related to this burnt mound was taking place periodically for at least 1100 years. Two charcoal-production kilns were identified at the west of the site. Both kilns were oval, contained charcoal-rich fills and evidence of in situ burning. Charcoal analysis showed that samples from both charcoal-production kilns contained only oak (Quercus sp.) charcoal. One of the kilns returned a two-sigma AMS date range of AD 693?891, indicating that these features related to the production of charcoal in the early medieval period. NOTE: TO DATE WORK ON THE REALIGNMENT OF THIS SECTION OF THE N61 HAS YET TO BE CARRIED OUT.