Henry Kavanagh was born at Merrion, Co. Dublin [b.1894]. Son of William and Emelia Kavanagh he was educated at the Diocesan School, Molesworth Street, Dublin. Henry was one of four brothers and two sisters who lived with their widowed mother Emelia at 167 Merrion Road, Dublin after their fathers’ death.
Henry was a solicitor’s clerk prior to joining the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in 1914. He fought in Gallipoli and then in Greece with D Company ‘The Pals’, 7th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers. D Company was reserved exclusively for recruits from an organisation known as the Irish Rugby Football Union Volunteers.
Henry was made Lance-Corporal in August 1915. He was killed in action at Salonika on 23 September 1916 and was interred at Struma Military Cemetery in Greece.
Henry’s older brother Norman [b.1889] worked as a clerk in the title of deeds office and joined as a dispatch rider in 1916. He survived the war and was awarded a British war and victory medals and later married George Poulton’s sister Violet.
Henry’s friend George Vincent Poulton also joined the army. Unfortunately, he was very ill with dysentery, and spent a lot of time in hospital throughout the war first in Lemnos and later in Cairo before being sent home to recover. Like the Kavanagh’s, his family lived on Merrion road, and their families were well acquainted.
The collection was donated to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association Archive by Mr. Cecil Kavanagh, nephew of Henry Kavanagh. The Royal Dublin Association Archive is managed by the Dublin City Library and Archive, which is where the collection is kept.
Includes letters written by Henry to his brother Enoch [b.1886] and his brother Norman. Also contains letters written by Henry’s mother Emelia to Enoch and Norman to Enoch. Also includes photographs and a death scroll.