Patrick English was born in 1894 and lived at Dunsink Cottages, Castleknock, Dublin. He was employed as a gardener on Lord Holmpatrick’s Estate at Abbotstown. He was a member of Fianna Eireann and the Irish Volunteer Army. He was part of the F. Company, 4th Battalion, Dublin Brigade who fought in the General Post Office Garrison in Easter 1916. After the surrender in 1916, he was imprisoned in Stafford on May 1st 1916. He was later transferred to Wormwood Scrubs and then interned in Frongoch, until he was released at Christmas 1916. After his release from Frongoch, he lost his job and his home, because of
his role in the Rising. He was a member of the active service unit all through out the War of Independence. He took no part in the Civil War. He was a keen Gaelic footballer and played for St. Margaret’s before the Rising. When Erin’s Isle was formed in Finglas in 1917, he became a prominent member and played for the club throughout the 1920s. He died on 27 January 1970 and was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery. The collection is comprised of letters written and received by Patrick English during and after his internment in Frongoch. Includes correspondence with his mother Kate, sisters May and Nellie, brother David, and club mate James Malone. Topics discussed in letters include conditions in Frongoch, welfare of Kate English and support she received from Dependent’s Fund, and news of family members and friends who were serving on the Front in World War 1. Letters from Kate English are written in various hands. Includes also rough notes prepared by Patrick English regarding his role in the Rising for the 1937 Garrison Report Order and copies of Marriage Certificate of Patrick English and Catherine Brennan (1927).